Thursday 20 August 2009

Pressies, paths and progress

My chance to get started on this project coincided with my birthday (how handy) and I received from friends some great birthday gifts of books to help me along with my plans. And this gorgeous pressie from my friend Tania, an avid gardener and grower, who is a mine of information and enthusiasm.
Packed with flowers, squash, courgettes, cucumber, a brassica and leeks in a pot to plant out, rocket-tape, sunflower and salad seeds. Plus a book on low-cost living. My own personal starter kit.
I stuffed the squash with butterbeans, mushrooms, sage, oregano, chili, capers and tomatoes, and baked it in the oven. It was delicious. Thanks Tania! Thanks also to all those people who have offered advice and support. It is much appreciated
Yesterday morning I went to the garden centre and bought some very thick, long gloves for protection against brambles. They've been pretty good but I wonder if there is anything that will protect from brambles 100% of the time? I am hoping that the end of today will see enough of a bramble sacrifice in the way of drawing blood and welts to appease the goddess of Bramble and gain Her blessing.


I also bought a book on composting: The Garden Organic Guide to Making Compost. It looks very practical and easy to read and lots of photos! I have used a compost bin before and know a bit but with clearing such a large space and with growing vegetables I thought I would try and do some research so I get it right and maximise my compost-making opportunities.




Yesterday I re-discovered two of the paths, one of which leads to the compost bin which hasn't been used since Mum died. So I can't wait to open the lid and see what's in there. And, more importantly to start using it again.

Today Dad helped me bundle up the first lot of brambles to take to the recycling centre. I have nowhere to put them for compost until I have cleared some more space but I hope to have that problem resolved by the end of next week.

Dad also removed the wheelbarrow which had become wrapped in brambles, honeysuckle and jasmine that had crept off the archway. A large black toad had been living there. I am sure he will find somewhere else to live in the garden but I saw him later this afternoon, back where the wheelbarrow had been.

I also found the coldframe, dilapidated and rotten but probably salvageable which was covered in brambles and roses. I moved it there last year, with the help of my best friend, away from the patio where it had lived when my Mum used it for propogating plants. I was amazed at how fast it had disappeared under a network of fearsome rose and bramble thorns, flowers and blackberries. Next to it appeared another wheelbarrow after more hacking and harvesting of berries. I moved round to the other side of the coldframe and carried on clearing and cutting until I reached the other corner of the garden- opposite the compost bin. Finally I found the other lost path and the memorial of our first family cat, Pepper, who is buried there.
I am surprised at how much I have uncovered in about six hours work, not to mention the huge haul of delicious blackberries, many of which lay trampled underfoot, giving off a slight candyfloss smell as the afternoon wore on.

I made blackberry and apple pie for tea, telling Sam excitedly that "this was made with berries from the garden!" but he said "yucky". I didn't put sugar in it so I will try again with some crumble. He loves picking them though.

I am nurturing a little scrumper.

2 comments:

  1. can't believe i checked back and so much has happened already... try honey in the pies!! will get round to doing a blog link shortly!! go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to nurture scrumping in one's children. H is turning out to be an excellent forager - he actually spots elderberries before me now and as for blackberries -he's in there!I always find a tension between piemaking and healthy eating. I found a recommendation somewhere for something called zsweet - it's an all natural sweetener. bloody expensive tho. If I can find any at a reasonable price I'll tell you, then we can both cook up autumn goodies in a healthier fashion. Til then, you can always put oats in the crumble and salve your wholefood conscience that way.

    Well done for getting so stuck in, btw, I didn't think you'd get so far either. Go girrll!

    Oh, and as for brambles - I garden in leathers for such events - and biker's gloves. Or use long handled loppers and hedge trimmers...

    ReplyDelete